Welcome!!!

As my blog name suggests, this blog will be like a learning journal. I won't go step by step on each dessert on what to do, but instead focus on the technique(s) I was learning and what I discovered while in the process of making it. I hope you will learn a thing or two, or if anything, use this as a reference and get ideas for your dessert-making. Happy decorating!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sunshine Flourishes Cake

8" round vanilla cake, buttercream frosting

Techniques Used-carnations, ruffles, shell border, leaves

Focus-carnations, ruffles

I got this cake idea from The Wilton School Decorating Cakes-A Reference & Idea Book. The cake in the book had ridges from a decorating comb, but unfortunately, I didn't make the frosting thin enough. Also, the ruffle is with a bigger tip (Tip 127D), but the local craft stores didn't carry the tip needed. If you plan on doing this cake, I would see about ordering the tip online.

I think carnations are easier flowers to make than roses, and more unique from flower to flower as well.  You can probably find pictures or videos online, but it's basically a bunch of zigzag motions over a mound of frosting.

The ruffle was easier than I expected.  Granted, it may be harder with a larger tip.  I ended up using tip 125, a larger size of a rose tip (104).  I practiced the ruffle on the bottom of a plate many times before doing it on the real thing.  I focused on keeping the wide end of the tip on the cake and then moving the pointed end up and down. 

This cake was decorated May 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment