Welcome!!!

As my blog name suggests, this blog will be like a learning journal. I won't go step by step on each dessert on what to do, but instead focus on the technique(s) I was learning and what I discovered while in the process of making it. I hope you will learn a thing or two, or if anything, use this as a reference and get ideas for your dessert-making. Happy decorating!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Flower Lattice Apple Pie

9" apple pie, pie crust flower

Techniques Used-lattice top, fondant/gum paste Lily

Focus-making fondant/gum paste Lily out of pie crust
 
 
I wanted to know if the flowers made with fondant or gum paste could also be made with pie crust.  I think the hardest part about it was making a form for the oven.  There are plastic formers out there made by Wilton and other companies, but I needed to bake the flower, and the former wouldn't be able to handle the heat.  All I did was take a strip of aluminum foil and mold and shape it to be a ring the size I wanted.  I didn't take a picture of it, but you can see it underneath the flower.

I cut out six petals; they look like stretched tear drops.  I then thinned out the edges of the petals to make them look more realistic (this also makes the edges brown slightly for a neat effect).  Here's a video of how I thinned the edges, although the video is about making an anemone.  I then made a line on each petal using a veining tool.  Next I started placing the petals.  As you can see, there are two layers of three petals, so I just divided the ring in thirds for the bottom layer, and then placed the next layer of petals in the spaces.  I didn't want the tips of the petals to just droop down, so I made aluminum foil balls to lift them.  The picture above shows some of the petals pointing upward.  Then it's just baking it and placing it on your pie. 

I wanted to show you the pie without the flower.  I really like this design, how it gives the pie some texture without adding more pie crust.  If anything, there is less pie crust, or at least that's how I do it.  I like the strips to be fairly separated, but the strips can vary by size and distance between them. 
 
 
For those of you that want to learn this technique, I found some videos and written instructions for you to follow.  This first video is the way that I do it, except my pie recipe doesn't require egg whites.  Here are written instructions with pictures as well.  I also wanted to show this video, because it's another way to do the lattice top, so you can choose which way you prefer.  I also like it that he cuts his own strips without using a ruler, and they look really nice. 
 
 
Here are some more ideas for the tops of pies.  This first site shows a few different borders as well as the lattice top.  The second site is more focused on borders, but also shows pie pops, which are pies on a stick.  I hope this has gotten your creative juices flowing, or at least gotten you to crave some pie!
 
 
This pie was decorated January 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment