Welcome!!!

As my blog name suggests, this blog will be like a learning journal. I won't go step by step on each dessert on what to do, but instead focus on the technique(s) I was learning and what I discovered while in the process of making it. I hope you will learn a thing or two, or if anything, use this as a reference and get ideas for your dessert-making. Happy decorating!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Grapevine Cake


7 1/2" oval spice cake, buttercream frosting, apple cinnamon filling

Techniques Used-grapes, vines, leaf borders

Focus-casual frosting coat, grapes, vines,

I found this idea in my Wilton Cake Course 1 book, but it's no longer available. 

I was interested in learning how to frost the cake so that it had slight waves in it.  It was harder than I thought.  I found out that I needed to put more frosting on than usual (I tend to make thin coats).  It was a good experience, and maybe I will do that again.  Here's a picture below of the cake with a wavy coat.



I learned with the vines that I had a hard time doing them free hand.  I ended up taking a toothpick and imprinting the design first.  I think I should've added more vines or grapes, but it was good practice.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of just the vines.

The grapes were easier than I thought.  I learned that at the top of the clump, try to put 2 or 3 grapes in the first row instead of 1 grape.  Then I just made each row bigger by one and then smaller more gradually towards the bottom.  Then to add some volume, I added smaller rows of grapes on top of the ones I already made.  Then three leaves are added at the top.  Grapes are time consuming, but not difficult.  Here is one grape cluster up close.

This cake was decorated April 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment